The Story

There was once a house, a farm and a family, who are dedicated to preserve and boost the traditional Portuguese life!

We were living the early republic, in mid-1912, when "Paluão", the last of five children of the Old House’s owners, married Margarida Martins, who was a cleaner working to his father. The farm was large and fertile, with sunny lands, wheat, beans and potatoes in abundance.

Paluão died in 1917 leaving the widow (and rich!) Margarida Martins. The water mine which still supplies the property was opened at this time. The construction required five years of work to a laborer from the village of Carvalhos, and it marked the division between the Old House heirs.

In the 30's, when the country was dealing with the Constitution and Salazar was creating the New State (Estado Novo), José Mendes - today remembered as "José Mendes da Sola" because of his work in the soles business - appears in the town for dating the daughter of Margarida and Paluão. But the widow – in need of pleasure – declares that before of the daughter there was her, and so José Mendes, with 20 years old, got married, not with the daughter as it was supposed, but with the mother Margarida Martins. A new cycle started in the Old House property.

5 children were born from this marriage, and almost 100 years and some owners later, the History will reveal that the blood of José Mendes da Sola is still there to conquer the area.

Margarida Martins dies before the 30s. Obstinate and astute, José Mendes notices a single woman, living with the parents in Escudeiros. Her name is Amalia and in 1936 she marries José Mendes da Sola, and moves to the Old House, starting to live there.
José Mendes dies years later, and the dynamic, as well as the productive activity of the farm, decreases.

However, since 1999, the owner of the Old House includes a descendant of José Mendes da Sola, and the property has recovered its agricultural dynamic while outlines a new activity by being a rural tourism house.

hist1   hist2   hist3